Saturday, May 30, 2015

An Eulogy for Ernie

Eulogy for Ernie Allegretti
April 20, 2015

Two years ago I was called to be a caregiver for Ernie.  I knew I was in the presence of greatness from the very beginning.  Ernie was larger than life and taught me quite a bit.  He taught me about history,  language and the stock market.  He also taught me not to procrastinate.  
One day I was refilling his water cup with ice and water.  The ice maker on the fridge wasn’t working, so I told Ernie.  He said, “Give me the damn phone book so I can call and get it fixed. “  I replied “Ernie don’t you want to wait? Maybe a line is frozen, and it needs to thaw or something.  J.J. will look at it when he comes home.”
“Wait is what broke the wagon.  I’m going to call them right now.”  And he did.
Ernie was the kind of man that didn’t wait for anything. 
He didn’t wait to get mad.
He didn’t wait to get over being mad
He didn’t  wait to get over being disappointed by sickness and physical limitations.
He didn’t wait to offer everyone he met a beer or a glass of wine.
He didn’t wait to tell each and every nurse or caregiver that they were the best.
He didn’t wait to  say thank you, even for the smallest act.
He didn’t wait to tell someone how nice they looked.
He didn’t wait to forgive
He didn’t wait to apologize.

He didn’t wait to say the most three important words to his daughter Jean, his son-in-law JJ, his son Jimmy, his grandchildren Dominic, Vincent, Anna and Sara, his nephews, his friends,   his nurses,  nor his  caregivers.   He didn’t wait to say I love you.  When he couldn’t say the words anymore, he breathed them.  Two nights before he passed away his seven-year-old granddaughter Sara came in to say good night to her  Papa.  He tried to say “I love you” to her but couldn’t get the words out. She said, “That’s OK Papa. Save your breath.  I know what you mean.”  

 Just like Sara we all knew that not only did Ernie say I love you, he meant it.  Ernie came into this world alone.  But Ernie didn’t leave this world alone.  Despite having a meager beginning in life, he made a name for himself in the community and left this world brimming with love for his family and friends who loved him in return.
To quote Victor Hugo “To Love another is to see the face of God,”   Thank you, Ernie, for showing us the face of God.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment