Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Planning our trip to Holland

On April 3-8 2014, fifty years later my dream of traveling to Holland, a country the size of Maryland and a population of 16 million people will be realized. I purchased airline tickets from cheaptickets.com.  We will be flying out of the Buffalo Airport, with a stop over the JFK airport and then on to Dublin, Ireland with a four hour layover.  We are scheduled to land at the Schiphol airport in Amerstdam 12:30 a.m. on April 4, 2014.  
I reserved a room not far from the North Sea at the Tulpenzicht Bed and Breakfast, in DeZilk, Holland. It's equipped with a kitchen in case we want to prepare some of our own meals.  The world famous Keukenhof Gardens are nearby. 
My brother Jack will be traveling to Holland from Weisbaden, Germany on April 5 & 6.  We plan on visiting the town of Alblasserdam where my ancestors are from. On Saturday we will be spending a day at Keukenhof together. Along with seeing the array of colorful tulips we are looking forward to riding bikes along the canals lined with windmills, visiting the town of Gouda to taste the cheese and finding the pickled herring kiosks that I hear are scattered about Amersterdam.
Last Thursday, my friend Mary Lisa who is a traveler stopped by for lunch before she left for a month long trip to Instanbul and gave me The UnDutchables, a comical, useful book about Holland.  I ordered  Lonely Planet Netherland's Travel Guide from Amazon.com.  In the book I found the location of Anne Frank's Attic in Amsterdam and a Delft museum where I can paint own piece of Delftware to add to my collection.
 I hope we have enough time to do everything on my growing list!  

No comments:

Post a Comment